Looking for a recipe...search here

Friday, January 18, 2008

Mussel Fry

Mussels /kadukka has been and is an all time favourite of mine. This simple preparation of mussels brings out the best flavor and taste in mussels.

Ingredients

1 lb - Mussels / Kadukka
2 to 3 tsp - Red chili powder
1/2 tsp - Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Oil to fry

Method

1 ) Remove the mussels meat from the shell. Clean the inside part of the mussels to remove any dirt there. Cut and remove the black part in the bottom of the mussels. Clean well and set aside.

2 ) Mix red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste with little water. Marinate mussels with this mixture for 10 - 15 minutes.

3 ) Heat about 1/2 cup oil, preferably coconut oil in a wok or kadai. When oil is hot, add one or two marinated mussels at a time, to the oil and fry on both side, till mussels is fried and fully cooked. Take out of the oil and drain. Fry rest of the marinated mussels in the same way.


Serve with rice or chapati.

14 comments:

Rachel said...

Yumm.. mussels are my fav too! I hate the cleaning part though!

Purnima said...

Hey this is again new to me, i have just eaten yummy clams made by mom. These look beautifully fried!! Thks for sharing (cleaning them is more tedious than cooking, isnt?)

Seena said...

Very simple fry..I always buy cleaned mussels,lazy cook..:)

Finla said...

Just like they make at home. But then it was smaller mussels.

Sagari said...

wow looks delecious

Mishmash ! said...

This is one of my favs...mummy makes it with the small ones...

Kalai said...

I've never tried mussels, Prav. But this looks so delicious that it might be the perfect dish to start with!

vimmi said...

just saw a pasta recipe on food network with mussels. can u tell me what do mussels taste like. Ur recipe looks great.

Pooja V said...

My favourite ....mussels ( we call them ..shinani in konkani) are such a delish. yummmy !!

Pravs said...

Vimmi : How mussels taste like...hmm... what do i say....something like squid maybe.But much better than squid.

Sig said...

WOW! I love these... haven't had the Kerala version in ages, since I don't buy these at home, cleaning is such a pain... :)

Mandira said...

wow, this looks delish! yummy :)

Kribha said...

I'm not a big fan of mussels. I haven't tried it when I was in India. My first try was in a chinese restaurant. Maybe I didn't like it 'coz it was too bland without any of our indian spices. But your plate looks sooo tempting and good.

Anonymous said...

Could you please post step by step pics of cleaning mussels. I've only eaten it once at a friends place(in Kerala). I live in Singapore and we do get frozen green shell mussels ( from New Zealand) but I do not know how to clean them. Thanks in advance. - pp